Saturday, October 3, 2009

MDS: On Dermatology & Oreo Cookies

Well, now we can add Dr. Derma to the list of docs participating in this medical adventure.

As I expected, she looked at my legs with puzzlement, and she'd never heard of Vidaza, no less whether these bumps on my legs are a Vidaza side-effect. No surprises there.

"Which is the newest one?" she asked, poking at the purpled-bluish protuberance on my right shin.

"I don't really know. I just noticed these two big ones last week."

"Which is the newest one?" she repeated.

"I don't know," I repeated. "I just noticed these two big ones last week."

Pause.

"So probably they're the newest ones."

"It's right on the bone," she declared.

"Yes it is."

She was reluctant, I guess, to start poking holes where there was no so little flesh, muscle or fat to cushion the incision.

She had no choice.

She flattened out her power chair, causing me to lie back. I didn't like that. I'd've preferred sitting up and watching the action.

But, stab away she did with the novocaine needle, then poking with whatever poking implement she used to extract the biopsy-able substance from within. Then, she began to sew.

Stitches? Now I've gotta deal have stitches?

Come back in three weeks, I was told. Replace the dressing after you shower. Keep your leg up. No running on treadmill for a week. Results in about two weeks.

"I'm not going to treat these," Dr. Derma said, staring at my leg, "because I don't know what they are."

Sounded logical to me. I don't know what they are, either.

But, no running for a week just adds a new level of disquiet. Next week's a Vidaza Shots Week (VSW), anyway, so I'd probably not be running anyhow. But, losing these two or three days will just make me that much fatter and more out of shape. Because you know that the inactivity will cause me to eat.

Oh well. Being the good patient that I am, I'll keep my leg elevated whilst I eat extra Oreo double-stuff vanilla cookies. Boy, those things are good.

No comments:

Post a Comment