Tuesday, October 6, 2009

MDS: Good Blood Count plus Questions Answered & Not

Yesterday's blood counts:
  • Platelets: 119,000
  • Hemoglobin: forgot to ask . . .
. . . or I didn't hear Dr. O when she said it.

I was too busy trying to remember all the questions I intended to ask.

Like?
  • Did the thyroid function test results come back? (Answer: no; have to do that over again.)
  • When she said the frequency of Vidaza shots could be decreased, did she mean after nine or 10 months total or in nine or 10 months? (Answer: nine or 10 months total; that's good.)
  • Can shots be skipped in January, when I've two major trips scheduled nearly back-to-back? (Answer: we can be flexible.)
  • Can flu shot(s) be done by her, and when? (Answer: none; despite my concerted effort to remember all the questions, I couldn't remember that one. Must ask today.)
So many questions. So little brain power.

A note about the thyroid: back in the first or second entry of this blog ("Backstory") it was noted that his entire adventure began with a pre-surgery MRI of my shoulder in which an unexplained "anomaly" appeared in the humerus bone. That led to scans of all kinds which, along the way, turned up hypothyroidism. That must be monitored every six months. I figured it could be done from Dr. O's office, since she's taking blood from me all the time. It can. But, the sample sent to the lab two weeks ago traveled with the wrong instructions. Thus, the do-over yesterday.

Still, the big picture continues to look pretty good. Getting that platelet count over 100,000 provides a huge psychological boost me for. Its carries a sub-text of "now you can do anything you can do"—ride your bike, knock your head against the wall, ski, eat your heart out, run, fall down the stairs, whatever.

And, I guess I've earned my certificate as a professional needle recipient. Four of them yesterday:
  • finger prick for blood counts
  • two for Vidaza
  • one for thyroid.
Don't tell me I don't live an exotic and rewarding life.

No comments:

Post a Comment