Tuesday, October 27, 2009

MDS: Coughs & Sneezes in Crowded Places


On Sunday, we traveled by train from London to Brighton and back. Few people were on board going to Brighton, but the return trip train was crowded.

A couple who traveled for about a third of the trip sat near us, the male coughing intermittently.

Last night, we went to the theatre. (Saw John Lithgow performing "Stories by Heart", his own one-man show. Excellent.) The young lady sitting next to me was sniffling and coughing. She was obviously nursing a cold.

I sat squirming in these semi-crowd situations. I'm supposed to "avoid sick people," according to the basic recommendations for handling MDS.

How do you do that on a crowded train or in a sold-out theater?

The situations induced slight paranoia. Better not breathe, I told myself. Better not touch anything, like the armrest you share with that young lady. At intermission, I asked Penny to switch seats with me. I doused my hands with Purell. Even considered sticking some up my nose. (Would that disinfect the air I breathed?)

Doesn't this young lady know that this cold she's sharing with us theatre-goers could kill me?

Well, no actually. How could she know that? Bet she hasn't even heard of MDS. Besides, just because she has a cold, doesn't mean she must lock herself away until it goes away.

And, besides that, you (I) can't avoid everyone in the world who has a cold.

And, besides that, could it really kill me? Or would it just be more severe for me than a cold used to be?

Is this nuts? Will I drive myself nuts?

And, now, I'm about to get on a plane for an 8-hour flight. God forbid anyone coughs or sneezes in that environment!

No comments:

Post a Comment