Wednesday, October 7, 2009

MDS & Flu: To Shoot or Not to Shoot

On Monday, I forgot one question I had aimed to ask Dr. O—Can flu shot(s) be done by her, and when?

Yesterday, I remembered to ask.

Her short answers were:
  • Yes.
  • I don't know.
Apparently the vaccines haven't reached her office yet.

She recommended I contact Dr. Primary's office to see if they have the vaccines. But, she cautioned not to actually receive the shots whilst amidst this Vidaza shots cycle.

It seems fairly common knowledge that the distribution of the H1N1 vaccine has caused confusion. That situation was illustrated just yesterday in a NY Times article Swine Flu Vaccine Reaches an Anxious Nation. Questions revolve around
  • For how many people is there enough vaccine?
  • Who gets priority?
Among those who do get priority are "children and chronically ill adults." Dr. O proudly assured me that I qualify as a chronically ill adult.

So, there you have it: Chronically Ill Adult. Another title or identification I've achieved, along with such hard-earned laurels as High School Graduate, Bachelor of Arts, Master of Fine Arts, Author, Published Photographer, Expert Skier, Husband, Father and Former House Painter and Moving Man.

Attaining this designation makes me feel so special. It engenders a sense of pride, accomplishment and success that simply cannot be imagined by mere healthy mortals. Thanks be to my crippled chromosomes, for it is they that now permit me to jump to the head of the line. I rank among the privileged. And, for that, I will be permitted to accept yet another needle.

Oh the joy to be so special.
Oh the pride imbued in rating VIP service.
Oh the thrill of getting yet more holes punched into my arms.

I nodded, and told Dr. O I'd contact Dr. P's office immediately.

I promptly went home and forgot to make the call.

No comments:

Post a Comment