Saturday, June 27, 2009

MDS: On Overextension—How Quickly Can I Rebound?

We successfully returned from Cape Cod on Thursday. I devoted most of Friday to napping and trying to nap.

Luckily, a replay of the Mets actually winning a game was showing on TV, which served throughout most of the afternoon as both lullaby and reassurance. (There’s something calming about watching a ball game whose outcome is positive and known. No pressure. No anxiety.)

Today, Saturday, I’m semi-functional.

So, once again, the hard lesson is being brought home: it now takes at least a full two days to recover from overextending myself. Somehow I guess I’m going to have to absorb and remember this lesson. Denial can only take a person so far.

Still, overextended or not, the trip was worth it. It’s becoming obvious that, during in the past few months, I’ve been spending too much time at home without deadlines or anything much pressing to do, which only fuels the fatigue.

And, fatigue fuels discouragement, making everything seem more difficult.

As much as there are real physical aspects at work here, it’s a head game, this dealing with MDS. And, I’m still working on getting my head around it.

But, it’s a small head, after all (with such limited brain capacity!). So, we’re confident that some semblance of mental and emotional mastery will prevail at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment