Thursday, June 18, 2009

Happy Birthday

Turned 61 yesterday.

Let me ruminate on the number 61 for a moment. What does it mean?
  • The number of home runs Roger Maris hit in '61.
  • Losing my life savings (about $15) betting on the '61 World Series.
  • Watching in despair as the football Giants get creamed in the '61 NFL championship game.
  • Highway 61 Revisted by Bob Dylan.
  • How old my big brother was four years ago.
  • The number of shots it takes me to play nine golf holes.
  • The approximate number of days it's been since MDS was diagnosed.
  • Route 61 is a trolleybus route in Bucharest. (Okay, I didn't actually know this. I just found it on Wikipedia.)
So, how was 61 celebrated?
  • Vacuumed the house.
  • Installed the new dehumidifier.
  • Renewed two medication prescriptions.
  • Worked for an hour.
  • Napped for an hour.
  • Treadmilled for 45 minutes.
  • Laina brought pizza for dinner.
  • Laina took me out for seriously good ice cream.
  • Successfully ignored my medical condition for an entire day.
Don't tell me I don't know how to enjoy myself.

Okay, I confess—we did have a major go-out-for-dinner birthday bash last Saturday (which also involved seriously good ice cream), before which many amusing and some useful presents were opened.

Still, I do wish I'd've been able to spend yesterday involved in my favorite birthday pastime/tradition: re-playing the Giants winning the Super Bowl. Sure, that's been possible only three times. But, nonetheless, Icount it as a tradition.

Maybe next year.

5 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Mitch.

    Can't you just replay an old Giants Superbowl victory?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday, Mitch!!

    ....and I'll bet the Giants anytime!!

    God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey kid, you're gettin' up there! Congratulations! Enjoy, and follow the advice of my old adult fitness class "running" coach: Start out slow and then kick back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best returns o' the day, medear. Albeit a bit late. But well intentioned. We're in kickin' back mode here about now. You do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Belated birthday wishes, Mitch, and Happy Father's Day. Have some more seriously good ice cream!

    ReplyDelete