Sunday, June 7, 2009

MDS: Am I Elderly?

This age classification thing has been bothering me for a while. Almost since this MDS business started.

In the medical literature, anyone over the age of 60 is referred to as "elderly."

I resent that position.
  • I don't feel elderly.
  • I don't act elderly.
  • I don't think elderly.
  • Despite the white beard, I don't look elderly.
  • I am not elderly.
After all, isn't 60 the new 40?

I can only conclude that the MDS medical studies are being carried out by an army of 20- or 30-somethings who have no concept of age beyond their own. I'm sure they can't imagine their beautiful red beards turning white. Or their ability to quickly snag hard hit grounders at third base dissipating.

May they live long enough to have it happen to them.

Age, it's often said, is how you perceive it; how you act. If I'm still out there skiing bumps and backcountry extreme terrain, am I elderly? If I'm skiing with colleagues who are well into their 80s, does that make me elderly by association?

Okay, so I can't bend over and touch my toes. Does that lack of flexibility make me elderly? Guess what: I've not been able to touch my toes since I was 16!

Seems to me that being diagnosed with an obscure syndrome that's only vaguely understood is bad enough. No need to add insult by referring to me as elderly.

I mean, when Dr. MDS called me "young" for the disease, I was almost ecstatic—even though he was simultaneously telling me that there is no cure.

I don't know at what age you qualify as "elderly." But, it isn't now for me. No matter what the medical pundits say.

Hell, I won't even be elderly in two weeks when I turn 61.

So, there!

No comments:

Post a Comment