Thursday, June 4, 2009

MDS: Another Form of Perspective

Yesterday, I was reading the latest edition of the PSIA-E newsletter. (That’s the Professional Ski Instructors of America - East, for those for whom the acronym means nothing.)

Among the ski and snowboard teaching tips and the chatty news about members’ accomplishments and get-togethers, I came across an "In Memoriam" page. Eight ski-snowboard instructors were memorialized on this page, none of whom I knew.

But, here’s the shocker. Among the eight, there were the following ages at time of death:
  • 51
  • 60
  • 56
  • 62
  • 62
  • 56
Wait a minute. These guys (and they were all guys) were longtime snowsliders and snowsliding instructors. By implication, active people who were in good shape. I mean, I’ve never known a ski or board instructor who was overweight or out of shape. So, why were they dying so young?

The only cause of death noted was one—a motorcycle accident. The rest? No matter, reading this gave me pause.

These guys were my peers.

Maybe I really should take to heart what my wife and daughter (among others) have been telling me since this MDS adventure began: none of us knows how long we have to live, so we all should be making the most of it.

Okay—so it actually looks like I’ll never be six feet tall. I’ll never play major league baseball. I’ll not write the great American novel. Chances are I’ll never shoot par, date a super model, swim the English channel or sleep with as many women as Wilt Chamberlain (thousands, he claimed).

Guess the time has come to accept these things as fact. And that time allotted is what it is.

So, I will make the most if it. Even on days like two days ago, when I felt like doo-doo, I’ll immerse myself in feeling crappy. No point in half measures.

But, there really never has been, has there?

2 comments:

  1. Mitch,
    I was shocked to hear about your diagnosis (I have to admit: I had never head of it before,so I did some research). Just wanted to tell you that I am with you in my thoughts!
    Hope you're coping as well as possible with your second round of shots. As my Mom had and has to undergo regular Chemo treatments, I think I have a very good understanding of what you must feel like.
    Just hope the pharmaceutical companies will invest a lot of money and search for alternative drugs and treatments.
    Take very good care of yourself! All the best,
    Sibylle

    ReplyDelete
  2. S--
    Thanks for the kind thoughts. Yep, this is all kind of a shocker, but there's not much to be done about it other than taking the meds and carrying on.

    ReplyDelete