Sunday, February 14, 2010

MDS Becomes AML - A Walk in the Park

Yesterday Penny and I took these MDS/AML-wracked bones for a walk in the park. We strolled (strolling being about the fastest pace I can muster right now) up to the school and back, a distance of perhaps a third of a mile. The snow is piled pretty high, but the walks are mostly clear and, except for one section, there was no danger from slippery stuff underfoot.

It was delightful and uplifting just to be out there. And, it was reassuring when compared to past experiences.

As I've noted to some by e-mail, when I came home from a 3.5-week hospitalization for a liver abscess in autumn of 2001, I was pretty weak. Still, after a few days, I decided that I should be able to walk the dog. I hitched her to her leash, loaded down with pooper scooper bags, went out the back door and headed up the path to the park, a distance of about 50 yards.

I couldn't make it to the park.

We had to turn around and return home. The poor dog was very confused. She never even got to pee.

So, by comparison, I'm already in much better shape this time. Not only did we make it to the school and back, but Penny didn't have to put me on a leash.

Today we intend to get back out there again. I'm hoping we add more of the park to our circular route, perhaps another third of a mile.

It's imperative, psychologically and physically, for this boy to get himself moving and active. I've never been too good at sitting around the house.

If all goes well, I'll begin taking myself out for walks. And, then I'll add the treadmill at a mild pace.

No pooper scooper bags will be required.

2 comments:

  1. This inspired me to start my morning walks again. hope to see you taking one soon.

    ReplyDelete