Monday, February 22, 2010

MDS Becomes AML - Back to the Big H

Well, it's H-Day. Return to hospital day. Or should we call it CC-Day. Consolidation-Chemo Day? No matter, it's back to the grind.

It's difficult not to be discouraged by the prospect of multiple consolidation treatments when I'd really rather just get on with the transplant. I'd have to be insane to welcome more hospital stays over fewer.

But, at least I know I'll be well attended on the oncology floor, and that we'll be killing off rogue leukemia cells bolsters the mind. Perhaps it's best to think of this as some kind of Bruce Willis film in which we blast the crap out of the bad guy cells and all of us good guys go home a bit scathed but happy in our victory.

We didn't make it to the theatre yesterday. One of us declared himself too tired to make the trip into the big city and fell asleep instead. Perhaps that a small sign that it really is time to return to cell killing treatments. It's always a bit disturbing to feel the fatigue and be unsure if it's blood counts falling, or just normal post-chemo tiredness.

So, we missed the play, and now it's back to the big medical center, where they'll stab me, continually count those blood cells and infuse me to kill all the cells in sight.

Pass the bad-cell-blaster gun, please, I'm ready to take aim.

1 comment:

  1. In re: bad c- cells. Give 'em hell, Mitch. Sending warm wishes for strength to get through the procedures. You're made of strong stuff. I'm betting on you!

    ReplyDelete