Friday, February 12, 2010

MDS Becomes AML - Counts Up & Holding

Yesterday's counts:
  • Platelets 73,000
  • Hemoglobin 10.5
  • White Cells 5.3 and in perfect balance
I was admonished by Dr. O to consume more calories. "You need to gain back the weight you've lost," she said, "so you have strength for the next round."

She suggested macaroni and cheese and ice cream. As she's Indian, we wondered later if folks from India eat a lot of mac-and-cheese. Never saw that on an Indian restaurant menu.

Laina, upon hearing of this doctoral statement, immediately announced that she would be stopping at Van Dyke's en route to our house today. Van Dyke's produces the best ice cream in the area. Laina vows to being "a huge container" of vanilla.

I did not refuse the offer.

Eating has become something of an issue. Not the food—lord knows Penny does a great job with that—but the quantities. Apparently after one has been fed by tube for five days, and has undergone intensive chemotherapy along with that, the stomach shrinks. I'm eating tiny portions and feeling stuffed. Actually, for weight control, I wouldn't mind having this continue after this medical adventure is over.

Anyway, I know I should be encouraged by the good blood counts. It shows that the chemo has done its job and the AML is in initial remission. But, I can't help ponder how temporary this all is, and that it will mean nothing without a successful bone marrow transplant. One could get pretty down pondering such things, thinking about the ordeal to come. But, I'm keeping my eyes on the ultimate prize.

The Journalists International Ski Club, of which I'm a member, will be gathering in Argentina to ski in late August or early September. I'm thinking I just might be able to be on that trip.

Wouldn't that be a kick.

4 comments:

  1. Mitch,

    Glad you are back and that skiing in Argentina is on your list of "Things To Do".
    Have a business trip this weekend but next week I will start the process to register as a bone marrow doner. We're about the same age and the least I can do is help another "boomer"! If not you or the woman I love who suffers from the same disease, living in Connecticut...........well than, someone else!
    God Bless you all, take each day as it comes, and relax!
    GW

    ReplyDelete
  2. MDS Dave and wife Patti in California are so glad you are home with such great counts! We don't "know" you...but we are pulling for you. The whole MDS thing is so confusing...and the transplant process is exhausting. Dave might be going through his transplant around the same time you are...
    thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. In an example of online irony, one of the Google ads positioned directly across from your post reads, "Secret Weight Loss Trick - Lose 2 Lbs a Day Safely & No Diets Following 2 Simple & Easy Steps." I've been smiling because you are improving, but black humor struck and this juxtaposition made me chuckle out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah - the ads are a riot. I've been meaning to check and see if I've made any money from prostituting myself to Google, but I keep forgetting.

    Calfour - thanks for staying tuned. Let me know if/when Dave does the transplant thing. If we're doing it more or less simultaneously, we can lean on each othe a bit. Misery, after all, does love company.
    mk

    ReplyDelete