Monday, February 15, 2010

MDS Becomes AML - Transplant News Good & Not-So-Good

The meeting with Dr. T went well. There's some good news and not-so-good news.

Not-so-good: my brother is not a bone marrow match.

This, of course, means that a search of the international bone marrow donors registry must be made to find a match. The good news there is that a preliminary computer scan of the registry came up with 50 possible matches.

These aren't confirmed matches, but strong possibilities. Possible matches are made using six markers that are found in initial blood tests. In 50 cases there were six out six matches to those markers.

To be a confirmed match, further "typing" blood testing must be done on both me and potential donors, using ten markers to define an actual match. The doctor looks for at least nine out of ten, but prefers ten out of ten. When a donor with that high percentage of matching markers is identified, we can move forward with the transplant.

Fifty, we were told, is a pretty good preliminary result. Sometimes the prelim scan yields only a few. So, there's reason for hope there.

Being conservative in all her projections, Dr. T said it would be two to four months to confirm a match. Obviously we're rooting for the shorter period.

The entire experience at the Transplant Center proved reassuring. Bone marrow transplants are what these guys do. They are well organized and have the whole thing down to as much of a routine as is possible. What's involved in the transplant itself—exactly what chemo drugs to use, whether or not to do radiation, etc.—depends on a whole bunch of variables (both in me and with the donor) that can't be decided until all the pre-transplant test results are in and an overall assessment of how to proceed can be made.

The transplant hospitalization lasts a month. It's followed by two follow-up visits to Dr. T per week for a month, and then once per week until 100 days have passed. Immuno-suppressant drugs must be taken for about a year.

To Consolidate or Not to Consolidate

So, the next question is whether Dr. O wants to do a consolidation chemo treatment or two between now and the time a donor is found. I'll consult with her on that later in the week, but my guess is that she'll want to do that.

Consolidation chemo is done in-hospital, lasts for about five days and isn't as intense as the initial chemo treatment I had last month.

Not that it's anything I want to do, but nobody's asking me.

Can I Be Tested to Be a Donor?

Any number of friends, colleagues and extended family have volunteered to be tested as potential donors. I'm flattered and humbled to know that there are so many folks who are so ready to help.

I asked Dr. T about friends and relatives being tested and she said what I thought she would: the testing is expensive and the chances of being a match are tiny; it's not worth it. If you really want to donate, it's best to make yourself available to all potential recipients by volunteering for the registry.

But, volunteering for the registry (for which you must be under age 60) is not about donating to me. It's about potentially donating to anyone in need. For me, or for any patient in need of a donor, the registry, which contains millions of volunteers around the world, is the only logical way to go.

So, there we have it. If we're lucky, we might be through this process in four or five months. If we're not so lucky, it may be seven or eight months.

Either way, if you want to find me next winter, you'll have to look for me on the slopes. There's a lot of missed ski runs to make up for. And I intend to go for it.

3 comments:

  1. I look forward to sharing the chairlift with you on your first run next season.

    If the doner match is confirmed sooner than later, we should be on the bicycles training for the ski season by September.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mitch,
    My name is Jean and I’m a volunteer with the National Bone Marrow Transplant Link. Our organization helps patients, caregivers, and families cope with the social and emotional challenges of transplant from diagnosis through survivorship by providing vital information and personalized support services. We subscribe to Google blog alerts, where we found your story.
    Please know that others are thinking of you and pulling for you! To learn more about our programs and services, including peer support on call,please visit www.nbmtlink.org or call 800-546-5268.
    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mitch,

    I will contact Jean and get things rolling. Of course, I realize a match could be for anyone in the world, not just you. Having worked in the pharmaceutical industry 30+ years, I've gained a fair insight diseases, but from the clinical side. You, sir, have made MDS all too real and like my Love in Connecticut, very personal. I have only 13 months where my marrow could be harvested and transplanted. After that, I enter the 60 year olds and gaining!
    I'd be honored to join you and Martin either on those bikes training or on the slopes next year! Either way, it's a date!

    Keep the Faith,

    George

    PS - Your book just arrived from B&N.com. You owe me a signature........and I will collect!

    ReplyDelete