Wednesday, February 17, 2010

MDS Becomes AML - Another Little Victory

Yesterday I put in 20 minutes walking time on the treadmill and managed to do three sets of 20 ab crunches.

Another victory over the mundane.

The doctors and certain folks around here keep telling me I must put on weight, re-gain some of what was lost in the hospital.

Fifteen pounds were lost, by the way. And, I must re-gain the weight so I am better prepared for consolidation chemo and eventually for bone marrow transplant.

By the way, in a brief conversation with Dr. O, she indicated that she likely will want me to undergo at least one consolidation chemo treatment while we wait for the transplant donor. I can't wait.

Meanwhile, to meet the weight gain demand, I'm eating
  • ice cream
  • cake
  • cookies
  • pasta
  • bagels with cream cheese
  • bagels with peanut butter and jelly
  • and any other high-calorie foods I can think of.
Wait—not to worry, I'm also eating good-for-you foods like cooked vegetables, some fruits and even some meat for protein (still not supposed to eat raw veggies or fruits that aren't peeled).

But, it occurred to me that high-sugar, high-calorie foods probably aren't sufficient. After all, an incredible amount of muscle atrophy has been suffered from lying around in a hospital bed for a month and three days (but who was counting?), with "exercise" being defined as a slow walk down the hall and back.

For the first time in my life, I've got skinny legs. And biceps or triceps? Fuhgettaboutit.

If one is going to add weight, one should also add some muscle mass into the mix. And, adding muscle requires exercise.

So, onto the treadmill I went.

And, onto the treadmill I will try to continue to go on a daily basis from now on. I'll also try to mix in some upper body exercise with the elastic bands I have left from my shoulder surgery.

Remember the shoulder surgery? Remember the odd little spot that showed up in the MRI that sent all the docs into a tizzy because it might be bone cancer?

Seems like a different lifetime now.

But, in hindsight, that's where it all began. Even if the docs all say that the spot wasn't bone cancer and it had nothing to do with the current situation, I can't help but think it was connected somehow. Still, it created my relationship with Dr. O, and that allowed me to get instant blood test results last April when the MDS first appeared, and instant lodging on the hospital oncology floor.

But, I digress.

Now it's time to gain weight and add some muscle mass—all so I can be better prepared to return to the hospital and be zapped again.

Kind of like fattening the cow for slaughter, isn't it?

3 comments:

  1. Keep at it. The end might not be in sight yet, but it's getting closer with every treatment, every calorie, every fat gram and every ab crunch. BTW, a lot of people who haven't endured what you already have couldn't manage three sets of 20!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2-17-2010
    Dear Mitch, I’ve enjoyed travel articles by you and Phil Johnson on graysatplay. You guys are terrific writers. You make me think I might enjoy doing things I never imagined, like fly fishing. And you reminded me of the joy I find in old, familiar places, like the 5 star Stowe Mountain Resort. You whetted my appetite, Mitch. Now, if only I had the healthy legs to ski better. More about that later.

    I’m also enjoying your dark comedy articles about your travails with chemo in an all out effort to defeat the AML that’s adversely possessing your body. The brain is the control center of that body, however, and I’ve heartened to read how you’ve opted to fight the invader and reclaim your property rights. Comedy is great ammo.

    You’ve inspired me with the way you push to rehabilitate yourself. Gearing up for a bone transplant impresses the hell out of me. Oh, not the eating of ice cream and cookies (I could do that standing on my head). It’s the treadmill and crunches that send me. Way to go! Thanks to your example, I’m thinking of undergoing knee surgery to correct an old injury, so I can ski again without falling every time I exit the chair lift. I’ll be thinking of your ordeal with chemo and the transplant, and how you came back. Style is important. I like yours.
    I’m rooting for you Mitch.

    Best always,
    Alice Licht

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant to say "bone marrow transplant." Busy day, so I'm working fast. Maybe too fast..
    Alice

    ReplyDelete