Saturday, February 27, 2010

MDS Becomes AML - Cleared to Travel. Soon.

Some begging was required. Some cajoling. A few promises. But, this AML-MDS victim has been cleared to get back on an airplane. Come March 23, he'll be boarding flights to Sun Valley, Idaho, to attend the annual ski journalists' national meeting, where he'll be able to fulfill his duties as the organization's paid secretary-treasurer.

This is so good for my head.

Today's counts are pretty good, too:
  • Platelets: 74,000
  • Hemoglobin: 9.0
  • White Cells: 5.2
Still sinking slowly, as they should. Dr. O says they'll continue downward til about Tuesday, then start back up. Stomach plumbing and all vitals are functioning fine.

On the Road Again

The terms of the travel deal are not onerous. My promises:
wear a mask on the plane
  • carry disinfecting wipes and use them on the tray tables, etc.
  • carry Purell and use it copiously on hands
  • refrain from too much hand shaking and welcome hugs
  • and, needless to say, no skiing.
It will be a bit difficult to be hanging around Sun Valley—one of the continent's finest ski mountains—without putting on the boards. But, I fully realize that I'd not be able to ski more than half a run on that big hill, anyway.

The good news is that Ketchum ranks among the finer ski towns, as well, so there will be plenty of window shopping, gallery hopping and just wandering around to do. I'll walk on the treadmill and, who knows, I might try my hand at fly fishing.

Needless to say, I'm excited. I've clearly reached a point where I need to something significant to look forward to, and where I'm feeling useful. This should do the trick. Plus, knowing that immediately upon my return I'll be landing right back in the hospital for more consolidation treatment (or, if we're extremely lucky, for the beginnings of bone marrow transplant) keeps things in perspective.

For all the traveling I do, I hate to fly. But, this time I'm psyched about getting up at 3:30 a.m. to make a 6 a.m. flight, being crammed into that coach seat, being charged to check my bag, not being offered any in-flight food, and wondering if we'll make connections in Chicago.

What fun.

2 comments:

  1. What a fabulous thing to look forward to. Haven't actually ever been on a skiing holiday - just watching the winter olympics recently had me deciding that I would be far too afraid.

    Travel insurance, or lack of any willing company, rather constrains holiday options over here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P–-
    Contrary to popular belief, skiing is no more dangerous than most recreational sports. Indeed, many more people are injured or killed annually while participating in water sports, especially those involved with boat. What you're seeing in the Olympics are world-class athletes competing at peak levels on the most challenging ski runs in the world. Few of us ski on those runs. Even fewer of us ski at that level. With proper equipment, lessons and attitude, sliding downhill on snow ranks among the most fun pastimes there is. Like anything else, you've got to start easy and progress slowly. It's worth it.

    About travel insurance: check out CSA Travel Protection (www.csatravelprotection.com). They insure against pre-existing medical conditions with a couple of caveats, the major one of which is that the traveler must be medically able/cleared to travel when the policy is bought. I used them for what turned out to be a cancelled ski trip in January,and they paid the claim without problem.
    mk

    ReplyDelete