Thursday, February 25, 2010

MDS Becomes AML - Good Counts But Endless Treatments?

Business first (as my friends at Continental Airlines would say).

Today's counts:
  • Platelets: 109,000
  • Hemoglobin: 9.5
  • White Cells: 6.1
Those are pretty good counts. With one more day of chemo on the schedule, the question, of course, is how low will they go? Ah, only time will tell.

Conferred with Dr. O this morning on how many of these consolidations we'd actually have to do. Basically, it sounds like we keep doing them until a morrow donor is found. So, chances are I'll be in here for two-week sessions, after two- or three-week home intervals, for the foreseeable future.

C'mon donors!

It is a bit strange to be building my life around indeterminate hospital visits. One would like some respite from this routine. Which is why the transplant, as it's the only chance for any kind of respite. But, somehow imagining myself doing these two-week stints for another three or four months can be onerous.

Especially since it's snowing outside, and I should be playing in it.

And, especially since I feel fine. I'm chipper, have good energy, am getting work done, and have been downright outgoing with all the staff. Much more outgoing than normal.

Probably the extroversion is generated by the socks.

The snow is complemented by e-mail alerts announcing great powder skiing everywhere from here to California. Which just makes me more determined than ever to get back out there.

"Think Snow" has always been a good mantra.

2 comments:

  1. You don't know me, but I read your blog with great interest. I was diagnosed MDS/AML this past Oct 12. MD Anderson started their worldwide search for my donor on Dec 23...they got 5600 hits for a potential match (6 of 10). On Jan 5 (while I was in the hospital for induction therapy) I was informed that they found a perfect 10/10 match...2 or 3 days later, they had 2 more perfect matches. They stopped there. I'm scheduled to begin preparation, conditioning and transplant on Mar 13. I thought you might like to hear a positive time frame story. I'm praying that you will also find a donor in short fashion.

    Also, I had my consolidation last week OUTPATIENT here in Oklahoma. They hooked me up to a portable pump that ran 5 days, 24 hrs/day (Ara-C)and I went to the treatment room at my oncologist's office for idarubicin pushes (plus Zofran and Decadron). I felt wonderful and was able to go anywhere and do anything. The treatment concluded Saturday. I'll have lab tomorrow to see if it's transfusion time and, of course, when my temperature reaches 101, I'll head back to the hospital for a few days. My point is...maybe you can talk to you doctor about doing outpatient consolidation. It's been GREAT!! A few days in the hospital is a whoooole lot better than a couple of weeks in the slammer!

    Good Luck! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BJ--
    Thanks for that input. If/when I'm due for more consolidation, I'll definitely ask about doing it outpatient. And, best of luck with your transplant.
    mk

    ReplyDelete