Wednesday, February 24, 2010

MDS Becomes AML - I.V. Free No More

Freedom, as the right wingers tell us, isn't free.

And, apparently, it's short-lived.

My freedom from Ms. I.V. Pole, Queen of Chemo, lasted only one morning. Early yesterday afternoon Kate-the-Nurse came charging in with a bag of potassium-injected fluid, unceremoniously hung it on Ms. Pole and connected it to my PICC line.

"On no," I cried. "How long does this have to last?"

"All the time you're not getting chemo," she replied with nursely efficiency. "You've gotta have fluids to prevent kidney problems from the chemo."

"All the time?" Were those tears forming?

"Yes."

So, my IV-freedom ended.

And, considering the price we're paying to be lodged in this hostelry, it's apparent that, indeed, freedom is not free. Nor are we free, even at these prices, to enjoy freedom.

I'm bummin'. Not only does this cut way back on my ability to move about the place, but the fluids send me running to the boys' room every two hours—or less.

Now, for the statistically minded, today's counts:
  • Platelets: 110,000
  • Hemoglobin: 9.5
  • White Cells: 7.4
The platelets yesterday (I forgot to ask) were 140,000. The decrease is expected with the chemo, but we haven't seen 140,000 since early December.

No wonder I don't feel sick.

But, alas, Penny has taken ill. Some kind of stomach mess going on. Probably from stealing some of my hospital dinner last night. I've been telling her the food here stinks. She never gets sick, except apparently when I'm lodging here. Hopefully, it's just one of those stomach things that pass in a day.

That would be nice. 'Twould be nicer if this MDS/AML thing would pass in a day. Or even two.

2 comments:

  1. Mitch, would you like some old books on tape I have in the library? They're from the time I reviewed books and I'd be glad to ship off a bunch. Maybe listening to someone read you a story would take your mind off Ms. Pole for a little while. Do you have a tape and/or CD player?
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ali--
    Thanks for the offer. Got books. May take you up on that offer when I'm back to going to ski areas and long distance driving to get there. Books on disk while driving is how I get most of my reading done these days.
    m

    ReplyDelete