Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Never heard of Myelodysplastic Syndrome? Now You Have.

Whoever heard of MDS? Not to mention Myelodysplastic Syndrome, which few of us can say? I certainly hadn't. Until the doctor said I have it.

This fits the "I never heard of it phenomenon." Something you've never heard of or seen comes into your consciousness.

You say, "What the heck is that?"

You learn what it is.

And, from that day forward, you encounter this thing as if it had always been there.

I remember when I first heard the word "software." I laughed. Whoever heard of such a thing? It's been integral to my life ever since.

So, after the doctor walks in and says, "You have MDS," and I say "What the heck is that?", I begin to hear from people about their friends, relatives, friends' relatives, etc., who have MDS.

Holy cow (as Phil Rizzuto would've said). Seems like everyone's got this disease I've never heard of, or knows someone who has it.

Better still. Nearly everyone reports that their friend/relative/friend's relative "has lived with MDS for ten/twenty years and they're doing fine."

Glad to hear it, especially now that MDS is something that's major in my life.

And, I certainly hope to become a member of that "long-time living" club who all my friends/relatives/friends of relatives can tell their friends/relatives/friends of relatives about.

No comments:

Post a Comment