Saturday, May 30, 2009

MDS: Shocking

Here’s the downside to being told your blood counts are near-normal. Periodically I’ll be floating along, doing whatever it is I’m doing, thinking of things to do, places to go or people to see in the distant future, and I’ll suddenly remember:

I could be dead from this in 3.5 years.

That’s the MDS median survival longevity.

Of course, I fully realize that that number includes many people. Those who
  • were diagnosed before Vidaza came along
  • have a more advanced stage of the disease
  • have other issues that complicate matters
  • are much older than I.
Still, like touching metal in mid-winter dry air, the sudden cognizance of potential short mortality sends a static electricity-like shock through my psyche.

Better get going, I remind myself. No more lollygagging. No more procrastinating. No more putting off til tomorrow.

Then I go straight for a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment