Wednesday, May 20, 2009

MDS: Perspective

Sometimes your perspective needs adjusting.

In the past few days I've been sent or listened to stories that make my little adventure seem like a pestering, persistent annoyance at best.

As I'm watering the garden, wandering down the path comes our neighbor Norman, whose house has been undergoing renovation. The construction should've been completed a year ago. He and his wife have been living "temporarily" in a condo his wife owns that they were to sell when the renovations were completed.

"Norman," I query, "inquiring minds must know! What is going on with your house?"

What follows is an incredible tale. No, it's not one of those contractor horror stories. Well, partially it is. "I can't get rid of him," he says about the contractor. "He's ninety percent done, but won't finish up and leave."

But, more devastatingly, while this is going on, his wife has undergone successful treatment for colon cancer only to find that the treatment itself has left her unable to digest food. She's being fed via permanent IV and, as a result, is always extremely fatigued and can't function in any meaningful way. There's no end in sight.

Meanwhile, carrying two mortgages, Norman has lost his job.

Maybe he puts on a good front, but the guy doesn't seem freaked out about the situation. He shrugs a lot, implying "such is life," then asks me about myself.

I'm thinking, as I manipulate the garden hose and try to explain MDS, that my situation is nothing compared to his. But, he's still interested. Moreover, he's visibly distressed to hear about me, and seems genuinely concerned.

Voice from the Past

Also genuinely concerned, albeit this time by e-mail, is Louise, who has discovered my situation in cyberspace somehow.

I've known Louise from the time I was old enough to be taken to the park, playground and swimming pool. Graduated high school with her, but haven't seen her since.

Now, suddenly, she reappears electronically, expressing sincere concern and fondness, while also relating a tale of her oldest brother and his losing battle with MS.

I'm touched. But, when I discover that Louise herself has been fighting an ugly, and apparently losing, battle with MS, I'm distressed. How can this be happening to the freckle-faced, vibrant young lady I remember?

More significantly—how can she, wheelchair bound, unable to do so many basic physical things, be concerned about me, whose worst manifestation of ill health to date has been vomiting due to untimely ingestion of anti-nausea pills?

They're quite the eye-openers, these two. Me, I'm out there putsing around in the garden, getting out to the golf course, driving to Washington today. Sure, I can't run my 3-5 miles, or get through the whole day without a nap lest I become totally exhausted.

But, hey, I'm not in such bad shape after all.

Perspective.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Mitch,

    I'm catching up and glad to see the smile and positive treatment results! As an aside, your writing is always a double plus pleasure to read.
    Hang in there with the prednisone - life is such a cranky process sometimes. The positive vibes are going out everyday. Hugs and love to you and Penny.

    Xoxo,

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. And more thanks. Sometimes I may be hangin' by a thread - but I'm hangin'.

    ReplyDelete