Monday, December 7, 2009

MDS: On Skiing & Ski Boots





Sunday was the big day. Just enough snow to ski. Not much. But enough for two short runs.

The results?

Yes, I can still ski.

Even better—the boots fit, and I wore them.

Seems that, just as I was heading out the door for New Hampshire (well, metaphorically, anyway), Laina asked an all-too-pertinent question. "Will you be able to wear your ski boots with the inflammation on your legs?"

Ski boots, for those who haven't worn them, put significant pressure on the shins (home to the inflammation on my right leg) as you bend the knees and move forward. And, they pressure the ankles (where the inflammation lives on the inside of my left leg) as you edge the skis.

This, I suddenly realized, could be a problem.

First, I tromped around boot-clad in the hotel room. It was fine. But, hotel room stomping, while pleasantly annoying to the people lodging on the floor below, doesn't really simulate moving downhill.

Then, to the slopes.

And? No more discomfort than usual. (These heavy plastic boots are not the most comfortable things to begin with.)

And, the skiing itself wasn't exhausting. I even fell and got up without incident.

So, a Little Victory.

Come next Saturday I expect to put it to an all-day test. I expect to pass that test, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment