Friday, December 4, 2009

Skiing with MDS: Will I Be Any Good?

So, after nearly seven hours of driving, I arrived yesterday in New Hampshire to start the ski season, although today was entirely spent in a ski journalists' meeting, which may not be a bad thing because there is little snow in sight. It was 57 degrees and raining when we arrived.

But, today, one of my colleagues asked me if I was "ready to ski."

That, as mentioned in the last post, remains the burning question.

Ready is the operative word.

Frankly, I'm a little nervous, and I have been since this MDS adventure began. I know my strength and stamina are reduced. I don't know what that'll mean on-snow.

More importantly, I don't know how I'll react if my ability to ski is diminished.

Yes, I know—go with the flow, do what you can, and all that wise, rational advice.

But, c'mon. Skiing itself isn't rational (just ask my wife!). There is nothing rational about strapping a pair of boards to your feet and sliding down steep hills and fast speeds.

Fun? Yes.

Exhilarating? Absolutely.

Rational? No.

So, I doubt my reaction to any decreased ability or durability will be rational or show completely reasonable perspective.

It would be nice to discover I'm not as "out of shape" as I fear, but I am rational enough not to expect nothing to have changed. What and how much has changed comprise the looming cloud.

The good news? There's so little snow here right now that, given my shots and travel schedules, I'm not really going to find out where I'm at for nearly a month. And, maybe by that time I'll have recovered some more fitness and stamina and it won't be as bad as feared.

As the skiers say, "Keep 'em pointed down the hill, and go for it."

No comments:

Post a Comment