Tuesday, December 29, 2009

MDS: Bad Counts & Low Energy

What goes up must come down? Is that what we're dealing with here?

Yesterday's blood counts:
  • Hemoglobin: 9.2
  • Platelets: 17,000
The platelets are now nearly as low as they were when I left the hospital in May.

Dr. O, however, doesn't appear overly concerned. These counts are following the normal Vidaza-related pattern—descending during and for the week after Shots, ascending after that. Only they're doing it as much lower levels than previously.

My question, then, is this: why? Can just one extra week between shots have driven these counts so low? Or does Depakote play into this?

Dr. O and I agreed that the lumps and lesions looked better. That says Depakote is doing its job.

But, oh how its making me miserable.

So, yesterday resulted in
  • a shot of Procrit to boost the platelets
  • a 5-day dose of antibiotics to alleviate a persistent cough
  • a positive evaluation of the lesions and lumps
  • sympathetic caution about the side effects of the Depakote.
I requested inquiry into a Depakote alternative.

Meanwhile, we expect that, between the Procrit and the normal Vidaza course of events, the blood counts will improve over the next week. The doc intends another Procrit shot next Monday.

Happily, she cleared me to go Alaska a week from Wednesday. I'll bring along my ski boots, but I suspect that the combination of low counts and near-zero energy will keep me from doing much beyond my ski wrtiers' organization secretarial duties while I'm there.

A shame, that. And a waste. And just another level of frustration in this whole mess. But, I'm way too tired to rail about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment