Wednesday, December 2, 2009

MDS: Too Tired to Ski?

Yesterday fatigue smacked me like I hit a brick wall. Could it have been five napless days followed, after a napful day, by four more napless days?

Or is it nothing—just being tired?

That's the MDS game, as best as I can tell. Lots of physical symptoms which can't be directly traced to the syndrome or the meds, but may be caused by them.

And, they come and go.

Like the hand and knee pain from last week. Whatever happened to them? Don't ask me. They disappeared as quickly and inexplicably as they had appeared.

This current fatigue wouldn't be too bothersome (after all, they say I was born tired) except that we're perched at the beginning of the ski season. Notwithstanding a near total lack of snow in New England right now, the schedule calls for skiing in New Hampshire starting Friday, and being tired before I even go there rather bothers me.

This boy must ski to stay sane.

But, who knows? Maybe the snow gods are sending a message by withholding not only snow itself, but weather cold enough in which to artificially make it. Are they telling me something?

Maybe.

But, if that's true, why did they dump 14 feet of snow on Whistler in three weeks time? Perhaps they're telling me to "Go northwest, young man"?

Such are the deep philosophical questions that try a man's soul. These and questions like:
  • What should I have for breakfast?
  • How many skiers does it take to change a light bulb?
  • Why did the chicken cross the road?
  • And, of course, why me? Why not that guy over there?
These and other questions may soon be answered. But, first, a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment