Friday, September 11, 2009

MDS: An Energy Un-Crisis

A funny thing happened yesterday in the middle of this hellish Vidaza Shots Week (VSW). Energy appeared.

I've been feeling crappy all week, and spending inordinate amounts of time lolling in front of the TV watching sitcom re-runs. And, yes, that's been mollified a bit by discovering that a Ted Danson mini-fest (Cheers and Becker) plays from 5-7 p.m. daily on WGN-Chicago (Channel 8 on our system), but still the sluggishness was getting me down.

Then, energy to spare suddenly, mysteriously appeared late yesterday afternoon.

Down to the basement went I, where a half-hour was spent on the treadmill, and another half-hour was spent doing some strength work with exercise bands.

This, of course, makes no sense.

The later in the VSW one progresses, the lousier and more tired one expects to feel. By dinner time, I was almost perky.

Not to worry, however. By 8 o'clock I'd returned to a near-vegetable state, feeling achy all over.

I'd like to say there's some way to make sense of all this, but this MDS thing hasn't made any sense to me from the start, so why should a sudden feel-good burst be logical/reasonable/understandable?

Well, at least one thing is consistent: my shot-riddled arms are sore and itchy. As the Gershwin bros might've said, "They can't take that away from me."

1 comment:

  1. Hello Mitch,
    My name is Emily; I'm a student at Penn State University, and I write for an online publication called The MDS Beacon at www.mdsbeacon.com. After reading some of your blog, I'd really like to do a patient piece about you and your experiences with MDS. Please write to me at emily.barfoot@light-kr.com if you're interested, and hopefully we can set up a time to talk this week.
    I hope to hear from you soon.
    Thank you,
    Emily

    ReplyDelete