Friday, November 27, 2009

MDS: Pain of the Day

Well now, in addition to the Weekly Blood Count, it seems we have a new phenomenon going on: the Daily Pain.

A mystery pain showed up in my right hand two nights ago. It wasn't there at dinner. It was there when I climbed into bed. Nothing eventful had happened between time.

A kind of pulsing pain, it was.
  • Back of the hand.
  • A bit dull.
  • Not a throb.
  • A slow build up to a pulse.
  • Pulse, pulse.
  • Then fade.
  • And gone.
What the . . .?

This hand pain stuck around for the next day, then disappeared as quickly and mysteriously as it had arrived.

To be replaced by an aching pain in the left knee.

Which made its presence known all day yesterday.

But, this morning on the treadmill, it, too, was gone.

The immediate reaction, as has been the case since MDS Day 1, is— huh, another medication side effect? Does one of these drugs cause joint problems? Ligament or tendon deterioration? Smoker's lung?

No matter if any of that's true, once again the situation has caused teeny-tiny paranoid thoughts to creep in.

By the way, did I mention that I'm positive my hair is starting to fall out? That my lungs are compromised? That my brain is addling? That my ears are clogging? That my SAT scores are going down?

Paranoid? Who me? Whaddaya kidding? Never heard of such a thing. Pass the Valium, please.

2 comments:

  1. Mitch,

    Hope your Thanksgiving Day was peaceful and not too strenuous. The Giants could have done far better - but that's fodder for another time, another place!
    Your attitude amazes me - I know someone in Connecticut who battles the same disease, takes all all the same meds, sufferes all the same SEs although the "pain of the day" has not been something I have known her to mention. Can't attest she shares all but your mutial problem and difficulties mirror one another. The amazement is that you do mantain that momentum to your life which I think makes all the difference in the world, emotionally and physicially. I don't think she can do that - MDS is just one of her problems.

    I am one of your biggest fans despite the fact I do not have MDS; someone I love does!

    Just keep the good fight going - I know she does!

    Keep the Faith, Mitch!

    George

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, George. Support of family and friends is invaluable.
    m

    ReplyDelete