Tuesday, November 10, 2009

MDS: Drug Interaction Dilemma - What to Do, What to Do?

Two side effects of Vidaza (primary treatment for MDS) are vomiting and the lesions formed on my legs.

A side effect of Zofran (anti-nausea to counteract the Vidaza vomiting) is constipation.

A reported side effect of Depatoke (anti-convulsive being used to heal the leg lesions) is diarrhea.

To counteract the Zofran-induced constipation, I'm consuming three Metamucil capsules, three times a day during Shots Week. (That's 4.33 times the normal two per day). To date this Metamucil regimen has prevented the need to ingest a laxative.

But, wait.
  • If Depatoke, which I began swallowing yesterday, causes diarrhea, will it alone counteract the Zofran constipatory effect?
  • If so, do I reduce the Metamucil for fear that a two-drugs-against-one struggle might result in a major, unsettling digestive system battle?
  • Do I maintain the Metamucil for fear that the Depatoke won't counterbalance the Zofran?
  • Do I call Mr. Wizard for advice? (Google search him, you young 'uns.)
Oh my.

Yesterday's results proved inconclusive. By late afternoon, my belly was complaining of pains and gassiness, but no more, really, than normal for Shots Week.

This morning, all appears to be moving along nicely.

I was never a science student, but even I know that obtaining good experiment results requires limiting the variables. Still, I don't want to pay the consequences of bad results either way.

These are the health maintenance questions that try men's souls. And, potentially, their toilet paper supplies.

Call it a lifestyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment