Sunday, March 7, 2010

MDS Becomes AML - I Am Da Count, Ha-Ha-Ha

Today's counts:
  • Platelets: 19,000
  • Hemoglobin: 9.1
  • White Cells: 0.3
I'm beginning to give up on tracking these numbers. Or, at least seeking logic in them.

The red cells didn't change. Okay, we didn't transfuse blood yesterday, so that makes some sense.

The platelets rose reasonably. Makes sense, since we did transfuse platelets yesterday.

The whites? Nothing. Despite Neupogen infusion. I mean, c'mon whites. The last time we Neupogen-ized, they jumped to more than 13.

It's enough to drive you crazy, this numbers tracking. Worse than when, as kids, we daily tracked major league baseball players' batting averages. My god, if Willie Mays dipped below .300, it was tragic. What would've we made of white cells hovering just above zero?

Can they go below zero? Can't you just see it? Hey, you're sub-zero, man. That's cold.

You know I'll be asking Dr. O about this when she arrives here today. Maybe she'll zap me with multiple Neupogen doses to really slap those whities around. Somebody's gotta wake 'em up.

Ah, never mind. I think I'll go see what David Wright's spring training batting average is and compare it to Willie McCovey's 1965 in-season batting average while I sleep through the golf coverage on TV this afternoon.

That makes about as much sense as these cell numbers do, but it oughta take my mind off the blood.

2 comments:

  1. Mitch - I know what you mean about tracking your blood counts. Less than a year ago I was only vaguely aware that I had platelets let alone how excited I would be when getting results showing that they were going up.
    Having your white blood cells go AWOL is a totally new ball game (no pun intended). Hope the problem is soon resolved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mitch, we who have no knowledge of platelets, hemoglobin, or white cell counts are nevertheless interested in your regular updates. Because of your journals I've entered another world of understanding. A Buddhist proverb says, "When the student is ready the teacher appears." Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete