Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Blood Counts Down—Golf Game Up

Funny thing. On Monday, en route to the Albany area to play golf on Tuesday, I "stopped in" to see Dr. O for my weekly blood letting.

Never thought I'd be visiting any doctor because I was "going to be in the neighborhood." But, there you have it.

Call it a lifestyle.

Okay, the little critic's voice in my head is saying, get off the philosophizing and get to the results. This week's score:
  • Hemoglobin - 11.7
  • Platelets - 89,000
  • White Cells holding strong
Now, really. I do find this confusing. Why? Because my energy is better than ever. I'm feeling downright good.

Seems like every time I'm feeling good, the counts are lower.

I do understand that the red cell counts will go down during and immediately after the shots cycle. I get that part. Really I do.

And, I also grasp that the counts didn't dip as much as last time.

But, what I don't get is this: if the counts have gone down, why am I feeling so good?

"Shut up and play golf," my daughter said to me as we chatted on the cell phone as I drove north on the NY Thruway (yes, hands-free) . Well, not literally. But that was the gist of her comment.

So, I did. Played 18 with my friend Phil, walking a full round for the first time this summer and (get this) set a personal record.

Three pars in one round.

Wow. Maybe my golf score goes down as the blood counts go down? No, that can't be it. It's gotta be skill.

Yeah, right.

4 comments:

  1. You've got a winner in golf, Mitch. Stick with it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Albany???
    Were you the one to broker the events that got the legislature back to business?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, George. And - yes, Martin, that was me. Between pars, I got it done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You the man, Mitch. Now come down to Trenton and fix that mess.

    ReplyDelete